I am so glad I changed my inquiry assignment to include working with my little boy. He is soooo excited to help and learn about growing tomatoes and peppers and cucumbers in our greenhouse along-side of me. I have to admit that I don’t really care what we are growing, just as long as we get to do something like this together. I have noticed that he has started to say things like, “I don’t want to bug you while you are doing your homework Mommy, but can we play Jedi outside…after you are done?” Or, he will ask if I think he is being good and patient while I do homework. It tugs at my heart not being very available to him since starting school. He was so excited to get out the paper egg carton we saved to use as a container to start our seeds in. He had put it away in a safe place in his room so it wouldn’t get recycled., and had been asking daily if he should go get it so we can grow our seeds. He couldn’t wait to scoop the soil into the carton and rounded up his Dad and two of his brothers and his sister to watch him do this. He tried so very hard not to spill and was really proud that there hardly was any. The soil we are using is just a basic seed starting mix including as 50% organic matter, .20 % Nitrogen, .08 % phosphoric acid, and .08% soluble potash. The rest is made up of rhizophagus irregularis which, according to Wikapedia, is previously known as glomus intraradices and is an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus used as a soil inoculant in agriculture and horticulture. I think, although Zack says he knows that seeds take time to grow, he was expecting to see almost immediate growth. He must have checked on the seeds a hundred times since planting them on Sunday February 9th. We should start to see some germination/seed-sprouting in a couple of weeks. Our plan is to look at the seeds everyday and record in little book how much they grow. Zack has asked if he can use the tiny ruler (the one that comes in the geometry kits) to measure the plants. In the meantime, I think our next step is to get outside and clean up the greenhouse together. At least if it rains, which it probably will, we’ll be covered.